Thursday, April 11, 2013

Kale salad


If you remember a few weeks ago, I visited the Berry Patch Farms in Nevada, Iowa, to see how they grow lettuce in greenhouses during the winter. Well, they let me take home a bag of red kale to sample, and I loved it so much, I had to find more.


You can find Berry Patch Farm's lettuce and kale at Wheatsfield Co-op in Ames.  It will only be available in the winter months, however, because they switch over to growing tomatoes and zucchini in their greenhouses in the summer.

Anyhow, back on topic, what I love about the red kale is that it's extra tender, and very pretty, with feathering leaves.  I knew just the recipe I wanted to try with this beautiful kale, Luann's Kale Salad from Iowa Girl Eats.  And the salad is excellent!  Very bright tasting, and it's fun to "massage" the kale to make it even more tender.

I apologize, but I didn't get a photo of the finished salad, because I accidentally dumped about 1 Tablespoon of pepper on top of the salad right before taking a photo. (We have issues with our pepper shaker.)  I managed to salvage the salad by discarding the pepper-covered leaves, but there wasn't much left to photograph.  So please visit Iowa Girl Eats for her beautiful photos of Luann's Kale Salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails